Beautiful wedding pictures… We all want them! The memories in our souls and the photos in the album are the only timeless pieces remembering us of the incredible moment in our lives.
The wedding day is nevertheless one of the most important days in all our existences and, as a matter of fact, we should make it memorable by all means.
So, what should you do to have extraordinary pictures from your wedding day? Dear brides, here are 10 secrets to having brilliant photos:
- Stop thinking of a friend or relative with an excellent camera and hire a professional photographer. There is no room for compromise here. The professional photograph possesses not only skills and training but also the technology. More than that, like any artist, the photographer will deliver not only photos but concepts, ideas and a full experience. Ask him/her for the complete services package.
- Develop some chemistry with the photographer. It’s crucial for you and the groom to have that kind of emotional link with this person so you can feel relaxed in front of the camera.
- Tell the photographer what your expectations are. Make him/her a part of your plans. Communicate effectively. It’s critical to keep him informed, to show him the venue, the clothes, the invitation, everything that can help him/her shaping an awesome experience. Make a list for him so that he won’t miss anything. However, keep the list relatively short so time won’t become your enemy.
- Anticipate and plan for the worse: maybe it will rain, maybe someone will be late, maybe something will happen to a bridesmaid’s dress. Take the necessary time and don’t do anything in a rush. Pressure and stress can make you look sad and worried.
- Sleep enough during the nights before the wedding, drink water and eat fruits to stay hydrated so that your complexion will naturally glow.
- Hire a professional hairdresser and a make-up artist. Ask them and the photographer to have a trial session so that you can better understand what will look best for you as a future model in your photos.
- Laugh if this comes naturally to you, if it doesn’t, don’t force it and just keep a simple smile. Some say you should smile showing the teeth, others say the opposite. We believe the photographer will know what is best for you. In any case, remember to smile with your eyes too.
- Keep the bouquet in front of you and to the side, so you won’t look like you are hiding behind it.
- Kiss the groom, stay close to him, show the world you are a couple now.
- Remember: the best photos are either in the morning or before sunset. So plan the shooting schedule accordingly.
Of course, today there are hundreds of photographers and studios and it can be quite a challenge to choose the right one. As a matter of fact, there is no “right one”, but rather the one that suits your style. We believe that 6-8 months before the big day you should start visiting some dedicated websites and blogs, and talk to newlyweds about their experience in this aspect. This should give you a proper dimension of your future effort.
Now it’s time to find out what is the minimum package any professional photographer must be ready to offer.
Remember: most of the photographers will deliver 50-100 photos/hour, so the number of pictures depends on the time.
– Photos at the church during the ceremony and at the reception.
Don’t forget to ask for photos with your family, friends, and bridesmaids and ask the photographer to present a list of details he wants to shoot (such as your shoes, the bouquet, the groom’s boutonniere, the rings etc).
– Outdoor photos: most of the brides prefer parks, botanical gardens, the church garden, if any, or beaches.
Prepare to get your dress a little dirty but that shouldn’t be a problem as the photographer will take care of it when editing the photos.
– Photo-journalistic shots are also something to request. These are the artistic photos, those pieces showing the real talent of the photographer.
Ask for these pictures to be taken before the ceremonies (civil or religious), at the reception and the days after the wedding, if you plan to have such a photo session.
– Digital photos and slideshows.
It’s important to have your digital photos on a CD if you want to have some copies over the years. More than that, it’s entirely possible that some friends or family members will ask for some pictures for themselves.
Ask him to show some samples and consider having one for you, and two for the parents. Short versions of the album should be offered to the bridesmaids and groomsmen.
We believe the best way to have a great photo experience is to research and interview at least three photographers. Remember you will spend a lot of time with this person before and during the event. In many situations, as stated before, there can be an after party session, too. So, it’s crucial to have a friendly professional next to you.